Question: does this hiking backpack exist??

Started 4 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
TravelLight
Regular MemberPosts: 185
Like?
Question: does this hiking backpack exist??
4 months ago

Hi guys (and ladies), I am back! I got lots of awesome responses to my previous question/post re: hiking shoulder bag for X-T1 plus 14, 18-55, and 55-200. Thanks again!

After doing a lot of research, though, I decided that maybe a camera backpack is really the solution (not shoulder bag, not clippy thing on the strap, not oversized fanny pack, not sling bag, and not chest bag... due to weight balance and convenience of movement, and well, personal preferences). Here is the new question: is there a hiking backpack that fits ALL the following criteria?

1. Light, small/medium-sized but has room to grow if in the future I do decide to buy the f/2.8 zooms.
  2. Tripod straps on the side rather than on the front of the bag (although on the bottom is fine).
  3. Has several separate zippered compartments for misc things (food, phone, wallet, filters, other personal items, etc., and you can stuff a light jacket inside if it gets hot on the trail).
  4. Has a hydration compartment for a 1.5-2L camelbak. Preferably with additional protection in case of leakage.

To find a bag with all these features is tough! Ran through many choices, but most didn't meet ALL the criteria (too heavy/large -- I want the bag to be less than 2lbs but definitely no more than 3lbs, few separate compartments, tripod on the front, no hydration compartment, etc.).

So far the closest matches are Lowepro 200 AW (I really dislike a "cinch access" on the top -- doesn't feel secure?) or Lowepro Flipside Sport 15L AW (but very little non-camera storage in the bag). Most of these bags seem to be more "camera bag" than "backpack" and accommodates standard DSLR and lenses. Since I am going light (sort of), I want the storage to be half-half (half for camera and lenses, and another half for misc non-camera things).

I appreciate any suggestions!

Fujifilm X-T1
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow