Started 5 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Drogba88
Forum MemberPosts: 77Gear list
Like?
Tell me I'm wrong somebody
5 months ago

Have recently bought a 70D mainly because of its new video features.   Everything thing works as it should and the video looks good, but I have been comparing it with what I was using previously, my Powershot SX160IS, and am beginning to have doubts about my purchase.   Here's why.

1. The SX160 is a P&S so is very light in weight, and when shooting video you can handhold it rock steady.   Adding a lens to the 70D means that it is weighty enough to demand a tripod when shooting video, or certainly a monopod, to hold the camera/lens combination steady.

2. The auto focus mechanism in the SX160 is completely silent, as is the zoom.     The 70D requires an STM lens to give you noiseless focussing, but this does nothing to dampen zoom noise, all of which is picked up by the camera's built in mike or even an external.

3. Its maximum video resolution is 1280x720.   The 70D gives you 1920x1080, but can you really see much difference on a computer or TV screen?

Still shooting, of course, is a different story.  There's just no contest there.   The 70D is bristling with many first-rate features.     But for around the town videoing, the SX160 can be put in your pocket and used handheld, no accessories needed.   The 70D would require a tripod or monopod plus an extra lens or two to cart around.

So am I missing something here?   Or are we just comparing apples with oranges?

-- hide signature --

Drogba88

Drogba88's gear list:Drogba88's gear list
Canon PowerShot SX160 IS Canon EOS 6D Canon EOS 70D Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Canon EF-S 17-85mm f/4-5.6 IS USM +9 more
Canon EOS 70D Canon PowerShot SX170 IS
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow