ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
rd77
New MemberPosts: 9
Like?
SX50 or Telescope/Spotting Scope
5 months ago

Hi all,

I have a SX50 for a while now, but the last days I was considering to buy a telescope (130 mm aperture like a Celestron NexStar 127 SLT) / or large spotting scope (at least 90mm aperture) to improve my range. Maybe attach my Canon G12 to the telescope. And I could use it for some astronomy as well.

The reason is that I reviewed my older post where Lee Jay posted a comparison of a SX50, T2i 100-400L 2xTC and a Celestron C6 Telescope.
http://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/50072073I realized that these telescopes are actually quite cheap and on those photos it looked like a HUGE difference. I did not consider it before because somehow I thought the telescope would be even more expensive than for example a Canon 100-400L lens.

There is no doubt it would improve my range by quite a bit, but does anyone have a comparison of long range shots? In Lee Jays post he said the distance was only 700 feet.

I am concerned about atmospheric distortion on longer distances.

So today I did a SX50 test shot inside the apartment (to remove the distortion issue), trying to find the longest distance I have in the apartment in a straight line and a very small target.

Because if I buy a telescope and a 2 mile shot is just blurry it's not exactly helping too much.

So I did a 24mm wide angle shot, a 50x shot, a 100x shot and a 200x shot.
All at ISO80 on a tripod.

See below.

Now the result shows that even at 200x the picture "can" still be quite good if the atmosphere does not mess with your optics
I know the > 50x shots are just a software-resized crop of the 50x picture, but I am too lazy to do it in Photoshop.

To bring this to an end:

Does anyone have comparison shots where the target is quite far away?
Maybe from a colder day with good weather?

Thanks all!
Rene

24mm wide angle. Target is in the center of the picture. Had to shoot from an angle through the door, because it is the longest straight distance in the apartment.

50x shot. Optical zoom.

100x shot. Digital zoom

200x shot. Digital zoom

Canon PowerShot G12 Canon PowerShot SX50 HS
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow