Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
GeraldW
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,883Gear list
Like?
G1X Mk II Vs. G15
3 months ago

Since several of the shots in the G1X Mk II gallery were the same scenes as in the Digital Camera Resource Pages web site (Jeff Keller did both in and around San Francisco) I thought it would be interesting to compare them.  Unfortunately, the duplicate scenes were nearly all shot at different times of day and probably a different time of year, so the lighting is different.  However, a couple of scenes are close enough to make a reasonable comparicon.  The shot with the flagpole and the high dome in the background is similar, and so is the bronze statue.

Most of the shots are low ISO, only the church interior is at ISO 400 or higher.

Comparisons are made easier because both cameras have similar pixel counts (12 MP Vs 13), so the viewed images are close in size.

So what did I find?  First, the default settings on the G1X II are a little more sharpened and with higher contrast.  So the G15 looks softer; but the detail is there, and setting the internal sharpening in the G15 to +1 fixes that on my G15.  Second, although both cameras have automatic correction of chromatic aberration, the G1X II does it better - likely because of the newer processor.  The G1X II also seems to have better resistance to clipping highlights, although with the differing lighting that's hard to be certain about.

If you mostly shoot in decent light, a well tuned G15 or G16 will probably not show much difference in prints up to letter size.  Even the church interior wasn't that different at ISO 400.  The G15 also has a significant difference in weight and size, and if you use a neck cord, instead of a neck strap, the G15 slips easily into a side pocket of looser fitting trousers.  But the G1X II does have a big advantage if you shoot a lot in low light.

Me?  I'm going to keep my G15 and keep looking.

-- hide signature --

Jerry

GeraldW's gear list:GeraldW's gear list
Canon PowerShot A710 IS Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 Canon PowerShot G15
Canon PowerShot G15 Canon PowerShot G16 G1 X II
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow