ForumParentFirstPreviousNext
Flat view
MickLaF
Junior MemberPosts: 41Gear list
Like?
Thousands (BILLIONS! j/k) of hot pixels at 1/200 and ISO 6400 on D800
Apr 9, 2014

Hello,

I know this has been discussed many times in the past, but it usually refers to long exposure times (in which I expect some hot pixels). On my Pentax K-5 at long exposure I had probably 30 hot pixels at 1600 iso, which got mapped out using the menu option. I also know having some hot pixels are a fact of sensors.

However, I just received my D800 yesterday and was taking some pictures. I was NOT intentionally looking for hot pixels at the time and just testing out the Auto ISO mode. So I set the shutter speed to 1/200 and the ISO was automatically set to 6400. I took a picture of my living room to see the low light capabilities I've read great things about. When I loaded up the picture, I thought the ISO noise wasn't too bad, I zoomed in to see how it would be on a crop and noticed hundreds and hundreds of red and blue hot pixels. In a 1:1 zoom, there were anywhere from 30-100 in each portion that I zoomed in on (rough estimate as I gave up counting after a bit).

I'm at work now, so I don't have the picture. But I'm sure you get the idea. Should this be happening that badly at 1/200th of second? They are there at 3200 as well. I just want to make sure because this is one of the bigger purchases I have made and I don't want to kick myself once I'm out of the return window.

I did try taking a couple long exposure high iso pictures promptly followed by two Sensor Cleans in quick success, and it did not seem to help. I know RAW converters will pluck the hot pixels out, but I would rather exchange if this goes beyond the normal expectation of hot pixels.

I'm trying not to be totally naive about hot pixels, but I want to feel confident that all that money went to a good copy of the camera.

Thanks

MickLaF's gear list:MickLaF's gear list
Pentax K-3 Nikon D810 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 16-35mm F4G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.4G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II +10 more
Nikon D800 Pentax K-5
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
TOF guy MOD
TOF guy MOD
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow