ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
danielbw
Forum MemberPosts: 50
Like?
Resolution, pixel density and lenses: D800 vs. D610
4 months ago

Hi,

I'm about to move from the D7100 to FX . Either the D610 or the D800. I'm a bit confused about some aspects of this decision and would very much appreciate any suggestions.

First, the current facts:

I am a passionate photographer, but I don't live from photography. I've had a couple of exhibits in the past and I want to follow this sort of 'artistic' path. Nevertheless, I've shot products in a few ocassions, and I would like to continue doing so in the future. Re: artistic portraiture, I tend to isolate my subjects and love to play with enough sharpness and excelent bokeh rendition. Re: landscape, the usual: sharpness, etc. In both cases, I need the highest dynamic range possible. I work on B&W a lot.

The lenses I will be using with the FX camera (either because I already own them or I plan to buy them) are the following:

Nikon 24-70 2.8, Nikon 85mm 1.8, Sigma 35mm 1.4 Art, Sigma 50mm 1.4 Art, Nikon 105mm 2.8 and still not sure about which WA prime.

So my main concern is about the relationship between such lenses and the different pixel densities (bigger or smaller pixel size) of these two sensors. I see the word "outresolve" used all over but I'm not sure I understand it. When someone says that a specific sensor outresolves a specific lens, does he/she mean that the sensor shows the lense's weaknesses or does it only mean that it does not take full advantage of its strengths? And, the other way round, what do people mean when they say that a lens outresolves a sensor?

Anyways... I would love to buy the D800, but I would prefer to save the difference and spend it on good glass. I understand that the D610 is a great camera, but there are two things I'm not quite happy about: the number of focus points (which I know I could 'long-cut' by using the AE-L/AF-L button, but doing so has been a pain in the neck with the D7100) and the body size (it is a bit too small for me).

So my main concern right now is understanding this relationship between both sensors and the lenses. How do the resolution and pixel density affect such things as ISO numbers, DR and maybe DOF.

If I knew that I could get similar DR and DOF results from the D600 (maybe not the same, but very close), I would not hesitate to buy it. If I find out that the D800 performs much better in these areas, I will do the effort to get it.

Thanks a lot,

Daniel

Nikon D610 Nikon D7100 Nikon D800
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow