Like?
Re: Then I guess I'm a sneaky creep...
In reply to LWS2013, 7 months ago

LWS2013 wrote:

Ray Sachs wrote:

LWS2013 wrote:

Ray Sachs wrote:

LWS2013 wrote:

There is a big difference between someone who is open about what they are doing in a public place and someone who is trying to hind it, shooting a small camera at a very low level is a bit sneaky and creepy, this type of approach is what gives street photography a bad rep, I've never understood why people shoot like this, for one thing you cannot compose the shot so what is it that people who shoot like this are trying to capture?

It's about being an observer of the scene you're photographing, rather than a participant IN that scene. About capturing a moment in life, rather than inserting yourself into it and making people react to you as the photographer. It's just one way of doing it, but I disagree completely that you cannot compose the shot when shooting like this. These were all done this way. Like 'em or not, but if you're familiar with the focal length, you can definitely compose the shot:

You call this sneaky. Fair enough. I think the in your face, almost assualtive street shooters who have absolutely no respect for other people's personal space to be far worse than sneaky. All of it's legal, all of it can result in fine photography. Do it the way you feel most comfortable. But don't be too quick to judge...

-Ray
--------------------------------------
We judge photographers by the photographs we see. We judge cameras by the photographs we miss - Haim Zamir
http://www.flickr.com/photos/20889767@N05/

If those photos are meant to validate your approach then sorry but they don't, they actually do the opposite, the one above is a perfect example of what could have been a masterpiece but wasn't due to poor composition and lack of context caused by you not looking through the viewfinder.

Like I said, you're free to like it or not. I do, and I wouldn't have gotten your idea of what this could have been or mine of what it is if I'd raised the camera to my eye. Many others do like this shot, but that's not really any more relevant than you not liking it. I enjoyed the process and I like it.

personal space if there is such a thing only exists when you're standing still, so while you think its uncool to invade a strangers personal space you think its ok to secretly photograph their interment

Because they hey never felt invaded by me merely being near them as many other people were as well. They may or may not have been aware that a photo was taken. I prefer this approach to the Bruce Gilden school of getting in people's faces and making them react to the camera mere inches from their face. He makes great photographs but leaves many agitated strangers behind. I'm generally at least a couple feet away which, moving or not, respects their personal space. And I don't claim to be in his league as an image maker, but I can live with my technique - I couldn't with his.

-Ray

-- hide signature --

We judge photographers by the photographs we see. We judge cameras by the photographs we miss - Haim Zamir
http://www.flickr.com/photos/20889767@N05/

when you take a photograph using your approach I don't quite understand how you can take credit for it.

holding a camera at waist height then pointing it up in the general direction of something and pressing the shutter and hoping that you can crop and aline to make a photo isn't street photography, sure if you take enough chances are that you'll hit something, even then the photo your left with isn't something that you could have seen because you're eyes are not at your waist

Maybe you missed the point that this is not just random shooting. To do this you usually use a fixed focal length, in such a way that you already know how much stuff you will have in the frame at a certain distance, you use zone focusing evaluating the distance from you to the subject... It's actually something that needs a lot of skills, and not just random luck. And, by the way, I was already doing this in film times, when I couldn't crop or align a slide or shoot 100 frames of the same scene hoping for something decent to come out.

Ray, I really love your photos!

AndreaV's gear list:AndreaV's gear list
Canon EOS-1D Mark III Canon EOS 350D Sony Alpha NEX-5 Fujifilm X-Pro1 Canon EF 20mm f/2.8 USM +12 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
LuckNew
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow