K-5 IIs + 1.7X AFA + Nikon 400/2.8 (6 imgs)

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
brandrx
Forum ProPosts: 25,607
Like?
K-5 IIs + 1.7X AFA + Nikon 400/2.8 (6 imgs)
3 months ago

So, I figured out that if I turn my Nikon 400/2.8 lens about 170 degrees clockwise that I can attach the Pentax 1.7X AFA + K-5 IIs without a Nikon-PK adapter. It will hold in place long enough for me to then tie the lens and the camera together with a rig that I set up. I wanted to see if I could handle the rig without it falling apart. I went up the road a ways to find these deer. I shot 140 images with the lens supported on the widow sill of my Jeep. Moving this heavy rig around did not make it come apart. Most of the time I will be using this rig on a tripod plus gimbal.

Most of the deer I saw did not look very healthy. The rig will autofocus with the lens set to f2.8 or f4. In a pinch a usable image can be had with the lens set to 2.8 but most of the time the lens will be set to f4 or f5.6 for better image quality.

Just disregard the aperture you see in the EXIF. It will read f2.8 no matter what the lens is set to. However, when I am taking the image the aperture shows F__ and the lens stops down with adjusting the aperture at the lens. So, it is working as it should.

The next image is not any good but I am showing it anyway so you can see the knobs of the antlers. I don't know if this is where he has lost his antlers or is already growing in his new ones. The image after that is a 100% crop.

The last image shows what looks to me like a very unhealthy youngster.

Now that I have checked out this rig I can say, "bring on the danged birds."

Cheers.

Ron

-- hide signature --

Ron - 'We don't have time to go take pics this afternoon Carl.'
Carl - 'What do you mean? It will only take 1/1000s.'
'Keep your eyes looking forward. However, glance back now and then to see where you've come from. It will put a smile on your face.' ~ brandrx

Pentax K-5 IIs
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow