ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
NG540
New MemberPosts: 6Gear list
Like?
S5 IS replacement
5 months ago

Hello all,

I am new to the site, but I have been lurking for a few weeks looking for information about the current PowerShot range from Canon. I will be heading to Europe in May, and am looking for a newer camera (preferably Canon) to replace my seven year old S5 IS (which has been a great camera so far). Most importantly, I'm looking for something smaller. I've done a bit of looking around to see what's available, and I've been drawn to the S120 and G1X mk2.

The S120 would probably be a lot more pocketable than the G1X mk2, but from what I've seen and read, the low light performance from the comparatively large-sensored G1X mk2 is much better, which is another aspect I'm looking for in a new camera. I obviously just shoot JPEG right now, but I'm definitely interested in trying out RAW post processing.

Realistically, both of these cameras should be miles ahead of the S5 IS in every category besides zoom range, but how much better should I be expecting out of them with regard to low light performance and overall IQ versus the S5 IS? And between the S120 and G1X mk2, considering the price difference?

Thanks in advance,

Nick

NG540's gear list:NG540's gear list
Canon PowerShot S5 IS G1 X II
Canon PowerShot S120 Canon PowerShot S5 IS G1 X II
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow