Started 8 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
wyldberi
Senior MemberPosts: 2,712Gear list
Like?
Lens orientation for day bag carry
8 months ago

I'm having some trouble figuring out how to best carry a few lenses in a small kit bag.

I just picked up a new bag that I like; intending to use it as a day bag on a frequent basis. Small, light weight, convenient, etc.

Problem is, the interior height is just a little shorter than I'd wanted. I can carry my longest lens mounted on my camera in one compartment with enough room for a second compartment at the end of the bag for storing an extra lens. I was hoping I'd be able to stack two lenses in that space, using a foam padded divider as a cushion between the two.

I've always only carried lenses in a bag either lens up or lens down, but I can no longer remember the reason why I did that. I've used the Forum Search tool; but was unable to come up with any information.

What issues need to be taken into account when considering carrying lenses with the lens axis lying in a horizontal position?

There is enough room to stack two lenses in the space available if they were placed on their side. Again, there would be some foam padding between them, and I think I could arrange it so that the axis of each (widest lens diameter) is off-center, somewhat. These aren't "large" lenses; the weight of each ranges between @ 200g to 350g, if that much.

In advance, let me thank you for the useful feedback of your responses.

Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow