Started 6 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
kenw
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,379Gear list
Like?
42.5/1.2 corners wide open - WOW
6 months ago

So the reality is I don't really care about the corners of an image when I'm shooting at F/1.2

That said, a quick way I test new lenses to make sure they aren't defective is to shoot them wide open in all four corners and the center.  If one of the corners looks worse than the others it is a good sign something isn't quite right with the lens.  Usually of course the extreme corners look quite a bit softer than the center or at least low contrast wide open.

The 42.5 on the other hand is insanely good in the corners at F/1.2.  Below are shots, target at infinity obviously, in center and all four corners.  100% crops.  The corners were pushed 1EV in post to make up for vignetting.

Nothing really new about this, I think all the reviews have shown this, but I was still surprised and felt I had to share.

-- hide signature --

Ken W
See profile for equipment list

kenw's gear list:kenw's gear list
Sony RX100 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G1 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS +28 more
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow