Freaking out! Is this 70-200 Lens busted?

Started 4 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
net1994
Regular MemberPosts: 484
Like?
Freaking out! Is this 70-200 Lens busted?
4 months ago

Please if you own or used a Nikon 70-200 VRII 2.8 lens help me out. I just rented the lens for a dream vacation, which I leave for on Thursday morning. Oh about 30hrs from now. And of course something is amiss with the lens. When trying to manually focus the lens when its at 200MM, I can rotate the zoom ring, but I can never get precise focus. And even more telling, is that the focus ring just keeps on going, and going, and going. Never stops. I seem to get to 85% focus and then as I rotate the ring, it feels like its 'riding' over a speed bump and keeps the subject out of focus. I can rotate that zoom ring forever. When rotating the focus ring to the right I hit infinity, then the infinity symbol moves for a millimeter or two additionally before the symbol stops moving. But the focus ring will keep on flying along if I rotate it.

I just called Nikon and they said that the focus ring should stop when you go all the way in either direction, which this lens does not. Is the support tech I spoke to wrong? Or I just have a busted lens?

-- hide signature --

My Photography website = Happy time for your eyes:
http://www.paintbypixels.com

Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow