neil holmes
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,560Gear list
Like?
Re: doubt Sony lies, claiming better high ISO performance
In reply to Ontario Gone, 8 months ago

Ontario Gone wrote:

neil holmes wrote:

Ontario Gone wrote:

One of the reasons i own my current camera is because of my shooting habbits. Im often in low light, calm and quiet atmospheres, so i bought a silent camera that can focus well in low light, and fast lenses. Literally half of my keeper shots (maybe a couple hundred) on this computer are at ISO 3200.

I would not call the GX7 a really great high ISO camera. It is ok (and one of the better M4/3 cameras.) I like mine for other reasons than high ISO.

I agree, and i specifically didn't say it was great at high ISO, but it does AF very well in low light and it has a full silent mode which is used almost exclusively in my shooting. It is good however, i don't see much difference between it and my APSC cameras i have owned.

AF hunts with the GX7 in really low light...much quicker to use MF and again full silent mode only works to ISO 3200...so when light starts getting low, the camera is as loud as normal.

The A7 is much better than the GX7 at high ISO and from what I have seen, the A7s is maybe a fair bit better still.

It's safer to say the A7 is has better noise performance if the lens is larger. ISO is meaningless cross platform because it's not really about the larger sensor, it's about the larger lenses. FF gets more light to the sensor because the lenses are larger, not because the sensor is bigger. If both have lenses of the same size (which means the FF F stop is slower), and we are normalizing other settings like SS, noise performance is equal.

The A7 has the advantage in there are more larger lenses available since it's FF. If you are using a max F4 lens on it though, you will not get better noise performance compared to your GX7 with a F2 or faster lens.

For real world use, I leave the GX7 at home and take the A7 only for low light shooting.

If the A7s was put out at the same time as the A7 it would have been a difficult choice for me between them.....maybe still would have picked the A7 but it would have been close.

It wouldn't matter if it was medium format, 12mp is going backwards. For me it would be just a video cam, and i won't pay that much for video alone.

Which begs the question why are you even in this thread?     And especially since you have previously stated you would not even TRY a A7.

The A7 or A7R or A7s are not for you...great, go buy the GH4.      Lots of people will do just that, and lots of others will buy the A7s and others still will buy both.

I would love to have both and may well do that if I had the spare cash and video becomes more serious for me.

-- hide signature --

"Run to the light, Carol Anne. Run as fast as you can!"

neil holmes's gear list:neil holmes's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Sony Alpha 7 Canon EF 135mm f/2.0L USM Canon TS-E 24mm f/3.5L II Sony FE 55mm F1.8 +15 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow