goblin
Senior MemberPosts: 2,725Gear list
Like?
Kodak's last traveling dwarf
6 months ago

DWARF

Syllabification: dwarf

Pronunciation: /dwôrf /

1(In folklore or fantasy literature) a member of a mythical race of short, stocky human-like creatures who are generally skilled in mining and metalworking.

E-400 :

In photo folklore or fantasy literature - a member of a mythical , never sold in the US race of short, stocky, film OM-like dslrs who are generally skilled in amazing picture quality and pixelworking.

This is a thread about little things.

Like traveling dwarfs.

Or little traveling cameras.

I have always been attracted by the E-400. Of course, you all know why - its Kodak sensor. The last Olympus with a Kodak sensor, completely different from the previous Kodak'ed Olys. Ain't this enough to want it ?

My first encounter with this elusive critter, years ago, was through a little Craigslist ad. Drove all the way to Rutgers university. Bought if from an Asian student who claimed that he took it from his native China, and that the reason the serial numbers were scratched and deleted was to avoid paying "export taxes". Errr... Really ? Well, ok.

I'll pass on the glue seeping from under the rubber grips and so on. The little guy (the camera) was beaten, but valliant. Served me nicely till I scratched my Kodak itch enough to Fleabay it.

Thing went on sale on Fleabay. Sold for twice the price. The buyer was a guy with an Asian sounding name, with a Rutgers University shipping address. The first boomerang camera, I guess.

Spent an year or so without one. Then that itch got needy of a scratch again. Fleabay, you're my friend again ! Managed to get a second one.

Well, it happens - I received it, checked condition, took a few shots, dropped the bag behind a closet, and forgot it for another year. Then that itch... You know the drill by now. Took it out of the bag a week or so ago.

Ok. It's neat. It's clean. Less shutter actuations. There is this thing with the E-400's - they see some heavy use. Owners love them. The first one had 50000+ shutter actuations. This one has less than 20000.

Now for the uncomfortable stuff.

- Charger comes with a non US plug.

- Memory card still has what seems to be happy vacation photos.

- I am stupid by nature, but not that much. I have the very persistent feeling this thing has been either lost or stolen.

There's hardly a way a US seller would have this hanging in his closets. Plus it was a buy it now with make best offer option. Plus it was more than an year ago. Sigh.

To be continued...

goblin's gear list:goblin's gear list
Ricoh GXR P10 28-300mm F3.5-5.6 VC Olympus E-1 Olympus E-3 Olympus E-330 Olympus E-400 +31 more
Olympus E-400
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow