Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Historicity
Regular MemberPosts: 319Gear list
Like?
Nervous bokeh using the 50mm f 1.4G
3 months ago

I've used Olympus & more recently Pentax, but my nephew likes Nikon and uses his D7100 and 18-130mm lens every place he goes. I just bought him a 50mm 1.4G for a trip to Europe he is going to take in the near future. Everything about this lens sounds good with the possible exception of one thing, bokeh wide open -- at least according to Photozone. They say that the bokeh wide open looks "nervous."  http://www.photozone.de/Reviews/413-nikkor_50_14g?start=1

In the case of a Pentax lens, the 18-135, I am not alone in suspecting that Photozone reviewed a bad copy; so I was wondering if something like that might be the case with the 50mm 1.4G that Photozone reviewed.  Not that it would be a "bad copy" since they gave it a "highly recommended" rating, but perhaps other copies aren't as nervous as the one Photozone reviewed.

Not that this will influence the purchase.  I already bought it and sent it to him so he'll have to live with whatever nervousness his bokeh has, but I am interested an any views on this subject.

Thanks,

Lawrence

Historicity's gear list:Historicity's gear list
Olympus E-1 Olympus E-3 Olympus E-330 Olympus E-420 Olympus E-500 +43 more
Nikon D7100
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow