ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
VirtualMirage
Senior MemberPosts: 2,792Gear list
Like?
Harm in not using a tripod collar?
8 months ago

So an odd question that I cannot seem to find an answer to:

Can shooting with a heavy lens (Tamron 70200 F/2.8 Di, 1470g) on a tripod without a tripod collar (A77 mounted to tripod) for short periods harm the camera the camera or lens?

While I know it makes the tripod and head work harder and is more prone to vibrations, I am curious as to the risks.  Initially, I didn't think much of it being that the A77 is mostly magnesium allow and the mount is metal too along with the lens mount being metal. But I am still curious as to what others think.  I certainly wouldn't think to do it on a smaller, cheaper camera.

Reason I ask:

This past weekend I saw a picture opportunity that required me to act quickly.  At the time, my mount plate was still on the camera and my collar was still in my bag (the collar gets in the way when taking pictures hand holding the combo).  So I decided to mount the camera with my 70-200 to the tripod.  It was front heavy, but my Cullman Magnesit MB8.5 has a high load capacity (claimed 70.5 lbs) and handled it without issue.

I'd say about 10 minutes or so later I was able to get my tripod collar out and moved the mount plate to it.  From there on out, I was using the tripod collar.

I didn't carry the camera and lens on the tripod when no collar was used and it was only used for a single stationary shoot.  After I put the collar on and mounted it to the tripod, I had no qualms carrying the tripod over my should with the lens/camera combo still attached.

I haven't noticed anything wrong with my camera or lens, so that is not why I am asking. But more concerned about what I don't see or the long term effects.

Thanks!

-- hide signature --

Paul

VirtualMirage's gear list:VirtualMirage's gear list
Sony RX100 Sony a77 II Tokina AT-X Pro 11-16mm f/2.8 DX Tamron SP AF 90mm F/2.8 Di Macro Samyang 8mm F3.5 Aspherical IF MC Fisheye +20 more
Sony SLT-A77 Tamron SP 70-200mm F/2.8 Di VC USD
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow