Senior MemberPosts: 1,560Gear list
Like?
Re: Not to mention all those great fast M4/3 prime lenses
In reply to Nung, 4 months ago

Nung wrote:

IVN wrote:

Nung wrote:

............50mm f1.2 ??

Costs €700 where I live, doesn't have AF, just like the Voigts, but unlike the Voigts on mFT, there is also no focus peaking, which makes it a pain to focus with APSC viewfinders. FL, although usable, is not as nice as the 42.5 Voigt. And if you buy it with a D7x00, in order to have a nice VF, to be able to focus properly, there is no price and DOF advantage.

The Nikon 50mm f1.2 cost about US$500 where I live, and not sure about the price of the Canon 50mm f1.2 but from what I see, pretty damn expensive, must be at least 2X or even 3X the price.

It seems to me, that when we are talking about what gives you more bang for the buck, it really matters where you live. With a price of €700 (= $960), the 50/1.2 is hardly an attractive option where I live.

Yes, the Nikon doesn't have AF, but on Nikon cameras, it's easy to MF, if you put it on a N1, you can enlarge the image and focus properly, if you put it on a D7K or higher up there is a green dot and arrows for focus indication, plus I have a split screen focusing screen. That really makes a camera suit manual lenses properly! For lower end DSLRs, they don't meter, so not much point.

Still, I wouldn't say which ever one has more of an advantage, but it is a viable option. I only recently played around with the 50mm f1.2 on my V1, MF is a breeze. Being able to magnify the image for precise focusing is brilliant, I wish DSLR has such feature. It is in fact easier to MF a DSLR lens on a N1 then a N1 lens.

That digital image magnifier is better than nothing, but I don't find it quite on the level of focus peaking or those old SLR focusing screens which look like ice crystals. With the two latter you can focus and compose at the same time, with the magnifier you can't. But, different strokes for different folks.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow