Disapointed in my Df.

Started 6 months ago | Discussions thread
antoineb
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,125Gear list
Like?
(1) % hit rate, and (2) ability in low light?
In reply to PerL, 6 months ago

PerL wrote:

antoineb wrote:

caspianm wrote:

There is no proof that D600/601 focusing system is any different than the D7000's. Nor I have ever seen all discrepancies stated on this site regarding D7000 focusing. My D800 is slightly faster, able to focus in darker and has more & wider spread. In everyday I see no difference unless critical work.

Specs, as per Nikon:

D7000 AF module: "Multi-cam 4800 DX", 39 focus points including 9 cross-type, sensitivity -1EV to +19EV

D600 AF module: "Multicam 4800", 39 focus points including 9 cross-type, sensitivity -1EV to +19EV

Df AF module: "Multicam 4800", 39 focus points including 9 cross-type, sensitivity -1EV to +19EV

D800/E AF module: "Multicam 3500 FX", 51 focus points including 15 cross-type, sensitivity -2 to +19EV. In other words the D800's AF engine is TWICE as sensitive as that on the D7000 or D7100 or D600 or D610 or Df. Which can be a pretty big deal.

Interestingly, the D4s apparently also uses the 3500FX but has a range only from -1EV vs -2EV on the D800/E. So it seems that anyone who needs to regularly AF w/o assist light in ow light conditions, is better off w a D800/E.

And how do other brands compare?
- at Canon the most sensitive AF engine is on the 5D3, 61 points o/w 41 cross-type, sensitivity -2EV to +18EV

- at Panasonic, i.e. mirrorless, the GX7 can AF in as little as -4EV. In other words the humble GX7 can focus in as little light as 4 TIMES LESS LIGHT than a D800/E can. And, 8 times less light than a Df / D600 / D7100 / D7000 can. Ouch!

Hi PerL,

nice shot!  Helped by f4 giving it quite a bit of DOF and thus hiding any so-so performance from the AF engine...

- did I ever say that the D7000 could not focus at all?  Nope - all I said was that its AF engine is far from the best there is.  My D7k also has delivered me tons of in-focus shots of moving subjects, especially if not moving too fast (a cross-country skier is a good example).  But the hit rate is not that great.

- I did say however that the AF engine on the D7000, did struggle in lower light levels.  And it really does.  And I give the specs above.  I think that if people buy a much more expensive camera like a Df, with a larger sensor giving it less DOF all else being equal, then perhaps it would have been smart to put a better AF engine in that camera.  And given that the said camera does very well in low light, then it's even more of a shame that its AF engine cannot AF in low light

antoineb's gear list:antoineb's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ8 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ18 Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS7 Olympus TG-610 Nikon D7000 +4 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow