GAS - In My Hands Again (Manual Focus Ride Again)

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
michaeladawson
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,465Gear list
Like?
Re: GAS - In My Hands Again (Manual Focus Ride Again)
In reply to user_name, 3 months ago

user_name wrote:

Since the FM3a is a fully manual camera, you either select Aperture Priority or manually select the shutter speed and aperture combination that suits the situation.

What makes it work so well is the analog meter on the left of the viewfinder. It makes selecting the right combination of aperture and shutter speed so simple and quick.

I don't get this comment.  I grew up on film cameras starting with a Minolta SRT-102 back in the 70s.  The match needle analog operation for setting the camera's exposure worked well.  But now that we're in the digital age I don't see any real difference in ease of use of a DSLR's electronic meter.  If you want a set up like a the old film cameras set your DSLR to center weighted metering.  Then use the digital scale to adjust aperture and shutter.

I can totally get the enjoyment out of using the old analog system.  But I don't see how it is any easier.

-- hide signature --

Mike Dawson

michaeladawson's gear list:michaeladawson's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX3 Nikon D200 Nikon D4 Nikon D800E Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR +17 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow