Started 8 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
uhligfd
Senior MemberPosts: 1,350
Like?
EVF quality of A6000, A7, NEX 7; compared
8 months ago

I recently walked into a camera store in Germany and they had both the A6000 (with 1850 PZ) and A7 (with SEL2870) on display.

I wondered how the new viewfinders would work out for near dark subject areas where the NEX 7 suffers great pock marked images (the LCD is much better to use for my night shots).

The A6000 seemed maybe marginally better with its kit lens than the NEX7 when the subject was quite dark, the A7 was loads better.

One problem I always have with viewfinders is that I wear glasses and need large eye point numbers. (On the NEX 7, the eyepoint is too short and I cannot use the viewfinder surround from Sony or I will see only around 70% of the image and almost nothing of the top and bottom viewfinder information.) [To remedy, I have taken the surround from an old Canon FD finder rubber cup, shaved off everything but the mere edge and glued it around the NEX 7 finder so that its plastic finder surround can no longer scratch my glasses.]

So for glass wearers, the A6000 viewfinder definitely does not let me see all of the image in its window just like the old NEX 7 forbids. Quite a disappointment, and it did not even have  an eyecup attached which would make the matter even worse ....

The A7 however allowed me to see the full image and make out the top and bottom settings lines as well with my glasses and with eyecup attached that puts my glasses back at least 1/4 inch further. Great!

A7 for clarity the A7 won hands down with its kit lens, much better than either the A6000 with its kit or NEX 7 with most any lens.

Then i switched the lenses between the  two cameras: the clarity in the finder became much better on the A6000, but never mind its edge clipping viewfinder which was still there through my glasses. And the A7 view became a bit more 'average', weaker with the cheap APC 1858 kit lens.

My impressions, no more, no less.

Sony a6000 Sony Alpha 7 Sony Alpha NEX-7
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow