Need an advice on prime lens for travel

Started 8 months ago | Discussions thread
JBurnett
Contributing MemberPosts: 758Gear list
Like?
To augment kit zoom, either faster or wider FOV
In reply to golffore, 8 months ago

golffore wrote:

Thanks for reminding me. Yes I am taking the 14-42 kit lens with me. And to all, thank you for all the advice.

Nick

Choosing a prime to augment the kit zoom, you can decide whether you want to focus on lower-light (i.e) faster lens), or a wider field of view which, as others have pointed out, can be very useful in European cities. The 12mm f/2.0 actually hits both criteria (wider and faster). Compared to the prime lenses you suggested in your initial post, however, the 12mm is much more expensive.

Cheaper alternatives include the Samyang/Bower/Rokinon 7.5mm fisheye (and learning to use "defishing" software for some shots), and the Panasonic 14mm f/2.5 with DMW-GWC1 wide angle converter, which gives an effective focal length of about 11mm. I use the 14/GWC1 combo (usually at f/5.6 for maximum sharpness), and have been surprised at the image quality. There is some CA and barrel distortion to correct, but this is easily done.

-- hide signature --
 JBurnett's gear list:JBurnett's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G3 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 Panasonic Leica DG Macro-Elmarit 45mm F2.8 ASPH OIS Panasonic Leica Summilux DG 25mm F1.4 +7 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow