Started 4 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
amd111
Regular MemberPosts: 162Gear list
Like?
Pentax/DSLR Newbie K5-II w/ 18-135WR and 35mm AL F2.4
4 months ago

I finally pulled the trigger and I purchased my first Pentax. My only experience with DSLR was a month with Nikon D5200 w/18-140mm lens. I was going to buy D5300 or D7100, and I decided to buy K5-II combo due to its excellent body (weather resistant) and price.

Initial Impressions.
Great build, and I meant it, coming from D5200 it is like day and night I love the handling of it, weight and number of controls of it. It is a little overwhelming at the moment, but I’m sure it will all become clear after some practicing :P. At the moment I’m shooting JPEG only. I’ve only played with 35mm 2.4 prime and after an hour overall I’m happy with it, but I noticed some weird blue cast in the pictures when in the dark areas. I suspected it was because Lat-Chromatic-Ad Adj option was disabled by default (at least I hope). With the auto (green) mode some images were not as sharp as I hoped (I believe the default JPEG setting are on the soft side by default). I was shooting mainly without flash to test prime indoor capabilities and I was using aperture mode. In general I’m very satisfied with the pictures, especially at end of testing, when I found out about other “options” LOL (i.e. picture sharpening). With some of the options enabled it took camera longer to process the picture I took and there was a tiny delay from showing the preview of picture I just took ( I believe this is normal ). However it did not stop me from taking more pictures.

For general indoor shooting with prime is AF.S mode to go?

Tonight I will test 18-135mm WR lens, which I believe is not the greatest and there is a lot of complains about softness in the corners.

I would really appreciate if someone could help me with best/recommended settings to shoot in the hockey arena (very challenging environment) with 18.-135mm WR lens…

From my understanding and limited research I believe I should:
Use aperture mode (wide open)
Switch dial to AF.C
Set it to 11pts
Under custom function change AF.C settings to FPS-priority from Focus-priority
Under ISO Auto Setting stick with min and max it at 3200 ISO
Under Auto ISO parameters change to fast (from default Standard)
Under Lens correction, I enabled both Distortion correction and Lat-Chromatic-Ad Adj.
Under High-ISO NR, I left it at Auto…

If there are any other settings/recommendation please let me know.

Thanks so much,
Martin

amd111's gear list:amd111's gear list
Canon PowerShot S100 Pentax K-5 II Pentax smc DA 18-135mm F3.5-5.6ED AL [IF] DC WR Pentax smc DA 35mm F2.4 AL
Nikon D5200 Nikon D5300 Nikon D7100 Pentax K-5
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow