why are "some" people so insulting and rude on this forum?

Started 7 months ago | Discussions thread
LeicaBOSS
Regular MemberPosts: 430Gear list
Like?
Re: why are "some" people so insulting and rude on this forum?
In reply to tjuster1, 7 months ago

tjuster1 wrote:

LifeIsAVerb wrote:

I think this is a really good observation.

Another example is when someone posts a couple of images, probably taken at f/5.6 in bright light and certainly downsampled for web viewing, as proof that lens A is indeed as good as lens B. Completely worthless.

I don't refute the central premise - but I must disagree with this rather harsh and simplistic view on web-sized images and casual comparisons.

1. The vast majority of images are viewed on computer monitors. Not 1:1 in Lightroom, peeping corner, but on screens. This is today's reality.
  2. Even at modest, down-sampled resolutions, the differences between lenses (even stopped down) are often quite apparent, even to an untrained eye. Heck, there are some lenses that you can pick out from thumbnails at 3 feet away. 
  3. This "casual examples are meaningless" comes too close to the premise that only lab-setting, wide open, corner peeping, etc. etc. evaluations of equipment are meaningful. I cannot get on board with this. Nobody that takes real photos should get on board with this.

Yes, it's unreasonable to post a few small images and believeit can objectively and thoroughly prove "Lens A is better than lens B"  BUT  Given that many, if not most images are taken within reasonable parameters (decent light, middle apertures), and displayed at modest enlargements (either print or screen), one might argue that these examples are possibly more meaningful than pixel-peeping "lets break the lens with test patterns" comparisons.

At worst, they are a realistic and meaningful part of the puzzle, and should not be ridiculed. There is room for both data/gear fetishism and simple, practical examples.

-- hide signature --

From time to time, I point my camera at the right things. This is generally when I forget everything I've learned.

LeicaBOSS's gear list:LeicaBOSS's gear list
Leica M9 Sony SLT-A77 Canon EOS M Sony Alpha 7R Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II +17 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
MikeNew
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow