WOW what a game changer A7s

Started 8 months ago | Discussions thread
RussellInCincinnati
Senior MemberPosts: 3,197
Like?
you forgot to tell us WHY more megapixels better
In reply to Ontario Gone, 8 months ago

RussellInCincinnati: In contrast, there are no reasons why smaller pixels will de*crease noise for a given sensor readout after a given exposure time. *_Please let me know if this is not true, am eager to learn._

Ontario: Well then perhaps DXO needs a lesson too, as well as Sony themselves because everything you said is being contradicted by tests.

I didn't ask about test results, which test entire manufactured camera body systems and could reflect different sensor technologies. For example a company might use better sensor technology in a higher megapixel camera in order to give lower noise overall, EVEN THOUGH the higher megapixel count in and of itself increases read noise.

I.e. you are avoiding my question. Which is why do you predict that the lower-megapixel Sony A7s can't have significantly better low light noise when the company says the thing has it, and when all the theoretical technical factors predict that larger pixels deliver decreased noise?

What is one technical reason that a higher megapixel camera decreases noise? If you can't think of one technical reason, than why would someone without agenda speculate that the new Sony camera doesn't have lower noise in dim light, as the company claims. Particularly since we can effortlessly think of several technical reasons why a lower megapixel camera should have lower noise at the same level of sensor technology.

P.S. Ontario I liked your low light sample, particularly your subject's apparent cynicism about the photographic process.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow