why are "some" people so insulting and rude on this forum?

Started 5 months ago | Discussions thread
tjuster1
Senior MemberPosts: 1,481
Like?
Re: why are "some" people so insulting and rude on this forum?
In reply to LifeIsAVerb, 5 months ago

LifeIsAVerb wrote:

I've mostly avoided most of the forum threads here lately, because there's so much mis- or incomplete information, speculation, assumption to wade through to eventually arrive at some useful truth. There's usually better, more objective information elsewhere.

Here's an example (don't mean to pick on this in particular, but it's representative):

"My a7R does not suffer from shutter shock and the focusing is fine."

At best, an incomplete statement, and one that doesn't add anything to the collective body of knowledge. (Full disclosure, i don't own the camera.)

Shutter-induced vibrations are well documented by numerous experienced photographers. It's a real, not imagined phenomenon.

The problem manifests more under certain conditions—certain shutter speeds, with longer lenses, even camera orientation. If one doesn't use the camera under these conditions, one isn't likely to encounter the problem.

Based on existing objective information, there's no reason to believe that all a7Rs wouldn't have this problem, if used under the conditions that magnify or exacerbate the effect. So, it's objectively inaccurate to say "My camera doesn't do this" unless one has tested it under those conditions, and, in this case, there's no indication that's the case.

Same with focusing. For some uses and users, the focusing may be accurate for their intended uses, for others, not. It's not that the focusing is "good" or "bad," it's that it's suitable for some uses and situations, and not ideal for others.

When people get into spitting matches based on these kinds of lazy, general, blanket statements, then it quickly becomes about ego, and who is "right." Thread after thread is like this, and it makes the forum tedious and silly.

I think this is a really good observation.

Another example is when someone posts a couple of images, probably taken at f/5.6 in bright light and certainly downsampled for web viewing, as proof that lens A is indeed as good as lens B. Completely worthless.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
MikeNew
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow