7D Auto ISO vs. fixed ISO?

Started Apr 6, 2014 | Questions thread
Shop cameras & lenses ▾
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,417
Re: 7D Auto ISO vs. fixed ISO?
In reply to Don Richardson, Apr 8, 2014

Don Richardson wrote:

Lanidrac wrote:

Don Richardson wrote:

RGF wrote:

Using auto ISO today (over cast and low light) all of my images out of focus. looking at the info it showed the ISO at 3200. I am using the 7D with a 100-400 L lens. Really got no keepers. I am having difficulty comprehending the ISO setting as some say they never use Auto - I guess now I see why? Any suggestions on camera settings would be helpful. I used M, AV, and TV modes.



I have a 7D and 150-600 mm and Tamron 70-300 and shoot Shutter speeds between 2500-500 depending on light and use Auto ISO all the time. You'd be suprised at the low ISO I get at 2000 shutter speed Check out my zenfolio for thaen with 150-600 of Taken with 70-300. They should be on top row as all in both have been taken in last month and I'm pretty sure I used Auto ISO on all of them,

Tell me that ain't so. You use auto-iso ALL the time??? Wow.

I don't use it 100% of the time but I set Max. ISO at 1600 and probably use it 80% of the time and wouldn't you know I shoot birds 80% of the time also.. You should try it. On bright days I'll get 320-400 ISO at 2000 shutter speed with very little noise. I use AV and set ISO the other 20% but as light changes I forget to change ISO.

Don, I'm not knocking auto-iso for general walk-about photography since I use it too and am lazy - but I set it kinda low up to a max of 800 and sometimes 1600 in lower light. What you may want to do for more serious pics is set your ISO, your Aperture and Speed in Manual so YOU can decide how well your pics come out versus letting the camera do it. I like to shoot birds, too.


My DPR photos... http://www.dpreview.com/members/3344131210/galleries

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow