D800 with classic lens

Started 4 months ago | Discussions thread
munro harrap
Contributing MemberPosts: 709
Like?
Re: D800 with classic lens
In reply to SujayM, 4 months ago

The 28-70 f2.8 AF-S is TOO HEAVY to carry around. The 28-70 f3.5-4.5 is just as sharp, as is the 28-105mm f3.5-4.5, but with both you have to test they are still good and not wrecked by use or couriers throwing parcels as they do...

NO 24xxx Nikon zoom I have ever owned or used is good enough for the D800 sensor, except maybe the old 24-50mm f3.5-4.5, which gets worse as it gets longer but is better at the wide end than the 24-70mm f2.8 its replacement. It depends on the sample- I bought two before I good a good one.

These are light and relatively short lenses. You do not need VR with a dense body and short lens. VR is for long lenses-in length- as your movement is magnified more the longer the lens is (but they dont tell you that, do they!!)

A good 28-105mm is fine0- the old Nikkor, of course. But the 28-70mm f3.5-4.5 is really all you need-just get nearer. I got mine for £40. At the long end its impeccvable too, with hardly any need of correction.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow