How about a dose of reality on the A7s: This great hands-on blog is exciting

Started 4 months ago | Discussions thread
ProfHankD
Senior MemberPosts: 1,905Gear list
Like?
Agreed, the 4K support is unfortunately awkward in A7S
In reply to RussellInCincinnati, 4 months ago

RussellInCincinnati wrote:

ProfHankD wrote: ...4K video is essentially 8MP in each frame. Even if you don't care about 4K video right now, a 4K frame grab can be good enough for many commercial uses as a still.Think taking stills at 60FPS in low light might be cool?

Have put a lot of thought into the workflow of taking 8-megapixel-frame videos in the field, and then in post-processing, pick out the stills from the video. Would agree that it will be cool, some percentage of the time.

Unfortunately, it looks like I misread (or somebody changed?) the specs, because it now looks like 4K is ONLY output via HDMI, rather than having compressed 4K to the SD card and uncompressed out. If so, the convenience of 60FPS for frame grabs is not there....

As a side note, would be nicer for still photographers if the new Sony A7s could record a stream of full 12 megapixel video frames, in the 4:3 aspect ratio, rather than being confined to the 16:9 aspect ratio in video modes.

You mean 3:2, but I fully agree. 5FPS is pretty sad for a sensor capable of 3/4 resolution at 60FPS. It should have a electronically-shuttered high-framerate still mode... perhaps this can be fixed via a firmware upgrade? Unfortunately, I've also now seen comments along the lines that there isn't on-sensorPDAF support, which in my opinion is a very bad call indeed for this type of camera (well, unless you're using an LA-EA4 all the time) and can't be fixed via firmware alone.

Sadly, I think this camera botches some easy potential wins making it really a contender only for serious video... unless the pricing is really favorable (i.e., way less than A7).

ProfHankD's gear list:ProfHankD's gear list
Canon PowerShot A640 Canon PowerShot A720 IS Canon PowerShot S70 Canon PowerShot G1 Canon PowerShot G5 +19 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow