why are "some" people so insulting and rude on this forum?

Started 8 months ago | Discussions thread
LifeIsAVerb
Senior MemberPosts: 1,018
Like?
Re: why are "some" people so insulting and rude on this forum?
In reply to cosmonaut, 8 months ago

cosmonaut wrote:

LifeIsAVerb wrote:

cosmonaut wrote:

I know this will go down like a led ballon, so I have put my tin hat on and I am ready for the insults, but it has to be said.

I have noticed lately that this forum gets very defensive when someone shares perhaps what's perceived as a negative opinion on a particular camera.

I admit I am a gear head, but I also take thousands of photographs all over the world and although I have had many cameras it doesn't give people the right to be rude.

I don't understand why "some people" who have nothing to add the the thread in question to give a barrage of insults, why don't they just ignore the post.

Forums are for help, healthy debate and discussion points and fan boys should resist making derogatory comments.

I really don't get why people are so defensive about a brand of camera.

Brand loyalty is nice but it shouldn't be at the expense of insulting others who may share a different opinion.

Sorry if this sounds harsh but I am sick of "some people" spouting off with opinionated views that border on insulting people, after all it's only a camera! just because it's not the one you own doesn't give anyone the right to attack other forum members.

However the vast majority are very helpful and give good advise, and they are worth there weight in gold.

Ian

I guess because for a time this forum was slammed with trolls commenting on cameras they obviously knew little about. A bad rap on a camera seems to grow from a non existent problem to a real one like the shutter shock myth over bogus post. If you have something to add that is a real legitimate problem fine. But I own an a7r and if it were a real issue I would know.
There were a lot of seemingly jealous posters when the a7/7r came out posting here telling me how great their camera were and how mine sucked. It got old and we are all a little fed up and defensive.
My a7R does not suffer from shutter shock and the focusing is fine.

www.gregmccary.com

I've mostly avoided most of the forum threads here lately, because there's so much mis- or incomplete information, speculation, assumption to wade through to eventually arrive at some useful truth. There's usually better, more objective information elsewhere.

Here's an example (don't mean to pick on this in particular, but it's representative):

"My a7R does not suffer from shutter shock and the focusing is fine."

At best, an incomplete statement, and one that doesn't add anything to the collective body of knowledge. (Full disclosure, i don't own the camera.)

Shutter-induced vibrations are well documented by numerous experienced photographers. It's a real, not imagined phenomenon.

The problem manifests more under certain conditions—certain shutter speeds, with longer lenses, even camera orientation. If one doesn't use the camera under these conditions, one isn't likely to encounter the problem.

Based on existing objective information, there's no reason to believe that all a7Rs wouldn't have this problem, if used under the conditions that magnify or exacerbate the effect. So, it's objectively inaccurate to say "My camera doesn't do this" unless one has tested it under those conditions, and, in this case, there's no indication that's the case.

Same with focusing. For some uses and users, the focusing may be accurate for their intended uses, for others, not. It's not that the focusing is "good" or "bad," it's that it's suitable for some uses and situations, and not ideal for others.

When people get into spitting matches based on these kinds of lazy, general, blanket statements, then it quickly becomes about ego, and who is "right." Thread after thread is like this, and it makes the forum tedious and silly.

As far as the shutter shock issue. I just don't see enough users complaining about it. Could some of the first wave of the a7/7R had loose screws, missing screws, loose filters or a number of other issues that caused it? Yes. But it's not like the Nikon D600 issue where a large number of users have the problem.

I don't trust couch potato engineers that set at their house and shoot test shots at a waste basket and draw conclusions on a Wendy's napkin. I think Sony engineers roll around the break room table laughing at some of the forum stuff they read.

There was a guy just last week that posted pictures of his food closet with a $1200.00 Zeiss lens. Corn Flakes and Devied Ham.

Imagine a Zeiss engineer reading that?

-- hide signature --

www.gregmccary.com

Be sure to tell these guys that they're "couch potato engineers." Let us know how they respond.

Update on Sony A7R Shutter Vibration

Sony A7R Shutter Vibration: Can it Be Mitigated by Sony via Firmware Behavioral Change?

Sony A7R Shutter Shake Too Great for Many Longer Lens Uses

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
MikeNew
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow