Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
digitcallous
Regular MemberPosts: 186
Like?
Having a hard time photographing red rhodies
3 months ago

I seem to remember reading that the color red is hard to photograph. My red rhodies are blooming now and I have tried to take some pictures of them with my FZ200 3 times so far in the last several days. The first time I failed to get good focus on half of the shots, and the rest just seemed a mess of colors. I had used 23-point focus that time. Yesterday I tried 1-point focus and still was having problems with precise focus. Today I altered the 1-point focus to the smallest square as possible and got better results for focus, but I just can't seem to get clean details for the individual blooms. I wonder whether it is due to the shapes of the blooms and the uniformity of the color. Or these digital cameras just have a problem with red. I am showing a couple of examples from today, which are the best I've been able to get. I still think they are not anywhere close to good though. I appreciate help and opinions on this from all.

Contrast these with a shot of a tulip, also from today. I realize that this flower has much better color contrast and therefore may just be easier to photograph. Also the color is really more orange than red.

Chime in with your thoughts, please.

Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow