Contributing MemberPosts: 783
Like?
Re: Disagree
In reply to sgoldswo, 8 months ago

sgoldswo wrote:

vladi1234567 wrote:

sgoldswo wrote:

vladi1234567 wrote:

I was just wondering if the owners could share their experiences with how fast the Df can lock the focus in the low light situations - something that would require 1/100s shutter speed, 1.8 aperture and 6400-12800 ISO. I've found a couple of reviews today that claim it takes up to 10 seconds to lock focus, and sometimes it wouldn't lock at all. Would those who use the Df in low light agree or disagree? What are your personal findings in that regard?

Thanks and regards

-- hide signature --

D700, RX100, RX1
www.vnkphoto.com

I haven't found an issue with achieving focus in low light. Here's an example taken in a darkened shop with the lights off - the camera focused on the bags:

I think the real difference is in the area, and the sensitivity of the outer AF points, which explains the differences in reports you've seen.

If a person shoots in AF-C Auto all the time they are more likely to see a AF problem vs a camera with the 51 point system, almost by virtue of the smaller AF area. I will say that in lower light I'm likely to shoot in AF-S centre point or AF-C centre point group. The camera seems fine in those configurations. If you shoot centre point all the time you won't see a difference from a D800 - conversely if you shoot in auto you'll see a big difference. All I would say is that it would be a pity to miss out on one of the best cameras in the last 12 months because of misinformation about focus performance.

Hi, this is a super low light pic - how long did it take for the camera to lock focus?

Also, just to make sure I understand - when you say "if you shoot in auto you'll see a big difference" - what do you mean by "auto"? Most of the time I use AF-S, but sometimes I switch to AF-C, but in that case I use the center point most of the time..

-- hide signature --

D700, RX100, RX1
www.vnkphoto.com

Longer than normal (enough for me to notice it) but: (i) it was VERY dark; and (ii) it was probably something like 1-2 seconds max.

When I'm referring to "Auto" I'm referring to AF-C, automatic setting (indicated by "Auto" in the rear screen). For whatever reason AF performance in lower light falls off in that mode, but it uses all 51 points, including those on the edges which aren't as sensitive.

Thank you, much appreciated

-- hide signature --

D700, RX100, RX1
www.vnkphoto.com

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow