WOW what a game changer A7s

Started 8 months ago | Discussions thread
Ontario Gone
Senior MemberPosts: 3,937Gear list
Like?
Re: WOW what a game changer A7s
In reply to user_name, 8 months ago

user_name wrote:

Resolution is nice to have, but not essential all the time.

I have the D800 and recently added a 10.8 mp M8. As long as I am not trying to print large prints the M8's resolution is not a handicap.

The same goes with my D700. Still a most viable camera, even at 12mp.

The high megapixel gold rush may not be exactly over, but I think it has lost some of its luster. Releases like Nikon's 16mp Dƒ have already shown us that megapixels are not everything.

There is no single one camera that does everything perfectly. The A7 and A7r have already proved that. Each has its strengths and weaknesses.

For certain applications, such as speedy shooting (think D4 vs D800), less resolution helps. Processing is easier, memory is less packed, buffers last longer, these are the benefits of less resolution. The A7s is hardly a sports shooter, how exactly would it benefit from less resolution? It would appear Sony were forced to use lower resolution for the sole reason of not compromising video, they didn't want to deal with downsampling.

Im sure many people will try to spin this into a benefit for stills, but it's not. 24mp files are not exactly a back breaker in todays age of multi TB storage, and since speed isn't a strong point for the A7s, there's no good reason to have less resolution (for stills that is). If you don't want to use all 24+ MP, you don't have to. But what if you want it? Are you really going to carry around two camera bodies? So much for the "small and light" factor. It's defeating it's own purpose.

It just seems Sony took the easy road and instead of mastering downsampling, they offered a neutered stills camera to sell a video camera. This way, if you want the best of both worlds, you have to buy two. More money for them i guess.

-- hide signature --

"Run to the light, Carol Anne. Run as fast as you can!"

Ontario Gone's gear list:Ontario Gone's gear list
Nikon D7000 Canon EOS 70D Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.8G Canon EF 40mm f/2.8 STM
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow