Started 3 months ago | Questions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Bob Corson
Senior MemberPosts: 2,216Gear list
Like?
Looking for help selecting a wide angle lens
3 months ago

I have been thinking about getting a wide angle lens for a while now but been putting it off. I don't use wide very often and been debating how much I would use it. I currently have the 18-55 WR and Tamron 17-50 for when WR isn't needed. I really don't think I want fisheye so have been looking at the Pentax, Sigma and Tamron wide zooms. My sister has a 1770ish New England home and is getting ready to sell after many years and she wants some quality photos of the inside rooms so I need something fairly wide. There is a mural painted on the wall on the way up the stairs and she wants this photographed so that will present a special challenge . . . long view at an angle with minimal distances to work with . . .that probably will mean a panaorama stitched but even that will be tricky trying to level the shots going up a stairway.

I don't think I can see myself using it enough to justify going for the Sigma 8-16mm or the Sigma 10-20 f3.5 HSM unless you guys tell me one of these would hugely improve the results at my sisters house. I am left then with the Tamron 10-24 and the Sigma 10-20mm  and believe that the Sigma is the choice. Your thoughts and opinions would be appreciated including if I should spend the extra bucks on one of the other 2 Sigma's . . . or anything else for that matter. It is for my kid sister and for that matter much of the rest of the family as this place has been the central gathering point for our extended family and as such there are many great memories here so I am thinking I might even do a photobook. Anyway, I will spend what I need to to do a good job and if I don't use it a  lot after I can always sell it.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts and help.

-- hide signature --

Bob Corson
To truly see one must open their mind as well as their eyes

Bob Corson's gear list:Bob Corson's gear list
Pentax K-30 Sigma 10-20mm F4-5.6 EX DC HSM Pentax smc DA* 60-250mm F4.0 ED (IF) SDM Tamron SP AF 17-50mm F/2.8 XR Di II LD Aspherical (IF) Tamron SP AF 90mm F/2.8 Di Macro +5 more
ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow