Started 7 months ago | Discussions thread
neil holmes
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,385
Like?
Re: WOW what a game changer A7s
In reply to Ontario Gone, 7 months ago

Ontario Gone wrote:

neil holmes wrote:

People who use this will include those like me who would just use it without the recorder (probably) and it will be nice for that....I think I would prefer FF full HD to 4k ...my computer can not handle it as it is .....4k is just too much....the reason to get 4k is for better HD, in which case, then get the recorder......or wait until it comes down in price or a cheaper alternative comes along....

That's it for me....I think it is a game changer (if it lives up to specs).....I might get one sometime...maybe not but the video sites are mostly very excited about it and a lot of FF pros don't mind the 12mp for stills either....that's good enough for me.

Im still curious about the 1080p issue, because i like you would only use it for that for now if i bought it, im not ready to buy a 4k tv yet. But, as i linked from IR, heat and processing limits the camera's ability to record full rez video. With that being the case, how will it manage 1080p? There is really only two other options, line skipping or a sensor crop. Both are going to lose a huge amount of light and LS introduces bad aliasing. A crop will make UWA difficult. Im assuming IR didn't just make up the points of heat and processing, so if you would indeed use the S for 1080p, wouldn't that make it actually worse than your A7 for ISO performance?

I have not had any issue with overheating on the a7 (some do have with longer videos I think) but unlike DSLRs I have used, for ME it is a non issue.

The A7s should be better because it is not working so hard for the video so less overheating...I think.      Guess we need to wait and see.

If what im saying is true, and it really makes sense, it would seem people buying this camera for 1080p are going to be very disappointed and almost forced to buy the 4k recorder simply to use full sensor readouts and then downsample to 1080p after the fact. I mean it doesn't make sense to relase a 4k camera that can't record 4k in camera, and cant use the full sensor for 1080p in camera. It's literally a step backward unless you buy the recorder as well.

If someone is buying this camera they should do their home work first..

!080p will be fantastic in low light from this.....and pros and higher end enthusiasts will buy recorder (or others yet to come).

Visit the various movie/video forums....people are excited about BOTH the A7s and GH4 and will have different uses for many.

"Run to the light, Carol Anne. Run as fast as you can!"

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow