Sony RX10. Pixel size and noise are holding me back from buying

Started 6 months ago | Discussions thread
Stephen McDonald
Forum ProPosts: 11,959
Like?
Re: Sony RX10. Pixel size and noise are holding me back from buying
In reply to MoreGooderPhotos, 6 months ago

MoreGooderPhotos wrote:

Cramming 20mpx into a small sensor is not ideal. The only advantage to such a high pixel density is the ability to crop smaller. However, when you do crop smaller the noise is going to be more visible, which defeats the purpose of the higher density. This means you then need to apply noise reduction to the cropped portion, so there goes the fine details and the reason for cropping to begin with.

You betcha. I think that I'd like to see just 12 Megapixels on the much-smaller sensor on my HX400V. But Sony has shown with these two cameras that they can put 20-MP on their sensors and get away with it. The much larger sensor of the RX10, by comparison to those of superzoom models, seems to have plenty of size to its pixels to do a good job. The actual sensing size of a 1-inch CMOS, measured diagonally, is .57-inch. That gives it four times the area as the .27-inch of a "1/2.3-inch" superzoom sensor.

You're not getting a full-frame or even an APS-C size with the RX10, but those who learn to use these smaller 1-inch cameras at their best, can produce results that are indistinguishable from FF models, at all except large prints, heavy cropping or very dim light (you have the multi-exposure modes to deal with the latter). And the video of the 1-inchers doesn't have nearly as much skew when panning or shooting fast-moving subjects, as that of the larger-sensored models.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow