Started 6 months ago | Discussions thread
abdoozy
Regular MemberPosts: 229Gear list
Like?
Re: Odd lens flare with the 10-18 zoom
In reply to uhligfd, 6 months ago

uhligfd wrote:

abdoozy wrote:

This was shot at 10mm. The sunburst looked cool in the viewfinder. On the monitor, not so much. Was this a function of the lens being at f/22, the fact that the lens had a filter onboard (albeit a good quality Marumi lens protector), or should I just expect this kind of odd flare artifacts when shooting a UWA directly into the sun?

Some of those flare dots are downright bizarre.. they look like donuts. Or condoms

-- hide signature --

yr. obt. svt.,
abdoozy
WSSA Member#160

To learn more about such flare pattern you should invest the $ 50 it takes to purchase a pinhole cover for the NEX. Then you would see wild flares in any color if you shoot into the sun. These are at f/150 or smaller and then this effect becomes even more prevalent.

Otherwise: Go and learn NOT to use f/22 into the sun; and do clean your lenses and sensor every once in a while.

But I am serious about those pinhole covers, the cheapest new lens you can buy,so try one and learn.

After 40+ years of photography I know enough not to shoot f/22 into the sun (or anywhere else) for any reason except flat experimentation, which is all I was doing here. I appreciate comments regarding the spots and the odd rainbow effect, which I'd heard about with the A7 but not with the NEX6.

The sensor is cleaned regularly. The spot problem is likely as others have mentioned, with minuscule particles on the lens protector.

-- hide signature --

yr. obt. svt.,
abdoozy
WSSA Member#160

abdoozy's gear list:abdoozy's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony a6000 Sony 70-300mm F4.5-5.6 G SSM Tamron SP AF 60mm F/2 Di II LD IF Macro Sony Carl Zeiss Sonnar T* E 24mm F1.8 ZA +11 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow