Sold my DSLR and just got GM1

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
Midwest
Forum ProPosts: 13,108
Like?
Re: GM1 is an addiction
In reply to Lumixdude, 3 months ago

Lumixdude wrote:

Well there's the inevitable thing that you can't fit a 7D in your pocket and then having a neck and shoulder brace so that you don't feel like you're 7D is the 800lb gorilla in the room and then there's the fact that with a 14 megapixel micro four thirds sensor you're already achieving what professional level cameras were achieving just a couple years ago.

Then you have to ask yourself a pretty blunt question about whether you actually need a 7D, which comes back to the last bit of the conundrum above. When a 14 megapixel Micro Four Thirds sensor is putting out image quality close enough to a Canon 1D MKIII or a Canon 5D MKI you really have to ask yourself, why do you need more?

This is true but it's not just about image quality, it's about being able to shoot images at high shutter speed if necessary or in lower lighting or both, and still having enough ISO 'headroom' to stop the action or get acceptable levels of noise in the shot. Not everyone needs this and if just plain image quality at ISO=ISO is the measurement, then the m4/3 maybe just the ticket.

Why does anyone including most photography enthusiasts need to pay for a 7D when a GM1 with the right lenses attached will provide better quality photos than what they are actually capable of producing themselves?

Just a comment, I bought my 7D used in great shape for $800 so the money needn't be that big a deal. (And it might show that I'm not one of those people who is constantly rushing to buy a new camera - it was 3 years old at the time.) You are 100% right though, most cameras can do more than the user knows how to ask of it, and I am not excluding myself from that.

Then even if you can shoot at the level of photography, you've gotta ask yourself, you're already shooting at better than 35mm quality, do you really need to spend so much more money, for even more finite image quality gains?

It's the law of diminishing returns, particularly when you start actually adding on the cost of pro glass to achieve what you're not fully achieving with your Canon 7D in maximising what your 7D is capable of.

I think I'm going to make do with my kit lenses for a while with the 7D; granted they aren't L quality glass by a long ways. But I went with the 7D because I needed faster burst shooting and a much deeper RAW buffer than my Rebel's 3 or 4 shots it would hold. I'm going out of town this June on a trip that might have some great shooting opportunities and for that I am considering renting a more suitable lens, because I can't afford to tie up $1000 or $2000 in a single lens. Be nice to have one to use this time that I really do need it without tying up the money.

It's all a matter of what someone needs, and if they prefer m4/3 or a DSLR or mirrorless all comes down to what will do the job for them, and that is up to the user.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
45mmNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow