ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
sdh
sdh
Regular MemberPosts: 168
Like?
T5i, continuous shooting speed, and lens corrections
5 months ago

Cliffs notes: Enabling lens CA correction on the T5i severely slows continuous shooting performance.

Full story:

T5i body prices had gotten too tempting for me and I decided to buy one last week.

After combing through the menus and doing the usual setup ritual, one of the first things I explored was continuous shooting. I wanted to hear how much faster 5fps sounds than the ~3 fps of my T2i.

On the first go I hear: clack clack clack... clack... ... clack... ... clack... ...

Uh oh, that doesn't sound like 5fps. In fact it sounds slower than my T2i.

I decided to do a quick, slightly structured comparison:

T5i vs T2i - total exposure count over 10 seconds of continuous shooting.

Both cameras freshly charged batteries; manual focus, same exposure modes, Large Standard Q jpg, freshly formatted mem cards (T51 sandisk Extreme 45 MB/s; T2i sandisk ultra 30 MB/s)

t2i: 35 frames total

t5i: 23 frames total

W.T.F.???

Then it occurred to me to re-check settings; I had learned long ago with my XSi that high ISO NR kills FPS; maybe I'd overlooked something else.

Disabling lens CA & Shading correction improved things drasticaly. The T5i repeatedly delivered 48 or 49 frames over 10 seconds.  A bit short of Canon's 5 FPS claim, but at least the claim isn't total BS!

I didn't do timed counts with just one lens correction function active. But subjectively the shutter tempo felt unaffected by Shading correction alone, while it slowed noticeably with CA correction alone.

Just FYI.

Canon EOS 550D (EOS Rebel T2i / EOS Kiss X4) Canon EOS 700D (EOS Rebel T5i / EOS Kiss X7i)
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow