Fast indoor Lens or Which fast lens should be my 3rd hunk o glass?

Started 8 months ago | Questions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
dresner
Regular MemberPosts: 291Gear list
Like?
Fast indoor Lens or Which fast lens should be my 3rd hunk o glass?
8 months ago

Hi everyone,

Looking to buy my 3rd piece of glass and hopefully something more useful than my second. The process has cause de to think more about my lens plan.

My goal at this stage is to have 4 lenses. An ultra wide for landscapes and astral (still need to buy), a travel zoom with IS like my 24-105 F4 (have), a bad ass zoom like my 70-200 2.8 IS II (have, second purchase, great deal, but not very useful yet), and lastly a fast prime for indoor and lowlight shooting (looking now)

At the moment, I have a 6D (love it)

The 24-105 is a wonderful lens, but really best when I'm walking around outdoors, in the day time. It's always fast and sharp. I have found that inside and in low light conditions, it's ok, but just playing around with my 70-200 F2.8 shows me that a faster lens is what I need in low light conditions.

While I would like to get the 16-35 2.8 II, because it will give me both the landscape, astral and lowlight indoors, I have read that a newer version is coming and maybe even a range of new wide zooms from Canon this year and so it's worth the waiting in my opinion. The 17-40 is also supposed to get a fast lift... so on the ultra-wide soon... Ill wait.

So I started to think about the prime. 24, 35, or 50. 50 is too narrow for how I like to shoot and so it's either the 24 or 35. The 35 would give me a great fast lens, I can use at anytime, in any light, and in a wide range of situations. The 24 would give me a fast lens, that I can use anytime, in any light, but could also use for landscape & astral.

Drilling down deeper, I have read that the 24 has bad Coma and CA and it might not be so great for astral. Some people complain about it's focusing, distortion. Ken Rockwell won't even write a review on the lens lol. This lens kinda gets a bad rap ... but I don't own it, so I can't say. I am a little turned off from the feedback I have read over the last few weeks about this lens.

On the other hand, the 35 1.4 is one of the prime trinity and loved lens. I'm sure that I will love it, but is it the right choice? Cannot use it for landscapes so much. The idea of going on a trip, bring one lens with me, the 24 1.4. Use it for everything. Sounds great. But if I get the 35 1.4, then I go on a trip, bring 2 lenses. The ultra wide I still need to buy, and the travel zoom. I have no problem with either way.

With all that said, I know a great ultra wide is coming my way sometime in the next year that is going to be much wider than 24. Something that I am going to use when I'm shooting landscapes and astral.

But a 24-70 2.8 II would also be a cure all for almost all my needs... I just wonder if not having an IS lens when I'm walking around shooting is a mistake. I have shaky hands. So here are two ways to look at the world:

OPTION 1

Prime: 35 1.4 (Buy)

Walk Around Zoom: 24-105 F4 IS (Have)

Zoom: 70-200 2.8 II IS (Have)

Ultrawide: 16-35 F2.8, or ?? depending on what Canon does end up bringing to market

OR

OPTION 2

Zoom: 24-70 2.8 II (Buy, one lens for most trips)

Zoom: 70-200 2.8 II IS (Have)

Sell: 24-105 F4

Ultrawide Zoom: Skip it, the 24-70 F2.8 is wide enough and super sharp.

Prime: Skip it, the 24-70 F2.8 is fast enough for indoors and covers all the range I could want.

Any comments ... sorry about my ramble.

dresner's gear list:dresner's gear list
Canon EOS 6D Canon EF 35mm f/1.4L USM Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM Samyang 14mm F2.8 IF ED MC Aspherical +3 more
ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Canon EOS 6D
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow