Like?
Good inexpensive M43 backup body
8 months ago

Hi, I have a GH1 body with these lenses:

m43: Panny 14-140mm f/4-5.6, Panny 20mm f/1.7

FD: Elicar 35mm f/2.8, Canon 50mm f/1.8

Universal-to-FD: Soligor 90-210mm f/4

C-Mount: 24mm f/1.4.

I'm thinking of picking up a smaller body to be used with the primes, especially the 20mm, so that I actually bring out the camera more often rather than anything else.

I do not care about high ISO performance, the highest I ever go is ISO 400, usually ISO-100.

Cost being an issue, I am thinking of picking up a GF1, since I can get one off ebay for <$200. I used a GF1, and like the controls, added bonus is that the battery is the same as the GH1. Video on the GF1 is not necessary, but nice to have if I catch the flock of deer in the forest.

I want to avoid the GF2, GF3, GF5, and GF6 because I don't really like the controls, the controls feel dumbed-down, I am not enthused by the touchscreen (though it is neat sometimes), I shoot in ISO 100 most of the time, and I REALLY like the exposure mode dial on the GH1. The latter 2 points are more important than the former 3.

So, from Panasonic side, I am down to GF1, GX1, and the GX7 (which is too expensive). I am less familiar with the Olympus bodies, but willing to consider one. A big plus of an Olympus body would be the electronic image stabilization that will work on my manual lenses, even the super-long zoom Soligor, but that thing looks absolutely comical on the GH1, let alone a smaller body. What would you guys recommend?

ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow