Started 8 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
cchen2
Contributing MemberPosts: 838Gear list
Like?
Alexander White's RX10 Book Review
8 months ago

So I finally finished going through the relevant sections of Alexander White's book, "Photographer's Guide to the Sony RX10" which I purchased in PDF form last week for $9.95.  Even though I've had my camera for a number of months now and feel pretty comfortable using it, I appreciated the things that White had to say about it and his tests using different accessories and settings.  I definitely recommend anyone picking up the RX10 for the first time consider purchasing this book because it is much more useful than the Sony manual and it'll decrease the time it takes to get comfortable with your camera.

White's photos were bright in clear on the PDF file and I appreciate his descriptions for what each feature did, in normal English.  One thing that I appreciated was his sharing of his preferences- like which features he liked or didn't use much.  It was nice, even though I didn't always agree to have him explain his thinking.

For advanced users of the camera, I suspect that you'd be ok without the book, but for my money, $10 to support a guy who put so much effort into chronicling his thoughts and experiences of a $1300 investment (or $937 investment in my case ) is totally worth it to me.  I hope it is for many of us too.  For what it's worth, he links to this Dpreview forum at the end of the book as a place where he has learned a lot about the camera!

Here's a shout out to Alexander White if you read this- thanks for all the time and effort it took to bring this book to like.  The RX10 is a bit of a niche camera and for the people who are willing to make the investment in a camera like this, its nice to have a book to read to help us make the most out of our camera, and at a very reasonable price as well.

cheers,
Mike Chen

-- hide signature --

Just one life, twill soon be past
Only what's done for Christ will last

cchen2's gear list:cchen2's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX10 Sony Alpha NEX-C3 Sony a6000 Sony E 50mm F1.8 OSS
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX10
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow