Started 8 months ago | Discussions thread
Richard Weisgrau
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,186
Like?
Re: Prime alone, or to augment zoom?
In reply to JBurnett, 8 months ago

JBurnett wrote:

golffore wrote:

My wife and I are going on a week cruise and four day stay in Barcelona in June. I am thinking of getting a prime lens for my Epl2 for the travel. Photography will be mostly landscape, architectural, steetscscape and others. My choices are the 19 mm and the 30 mm Sigma lenses and the new Olympus 25mm f1.8 . Any advice?

Thanks in advance.

Nick

You haven't actually said whether you plan to use a prime alone, or whether you wish to purchase one to augment what you already have (e.g. the kit zoom).

If I was travelling with a single prime, I would choose a wider-angle lens than "normal" focal length. I would also choose a fast lens, for low light situations. The Olympus 17mm f/1.7 and forthcoming Panasonic 15mm f/1.7 would be high on my list. The Panasonic 15mm has not yet shipped and will be more expensive. The Panasonic 20mm f/1.7 would be another possibility. It's not as wide as the 17, but certainly wider than the 25, and optically good.

If I took the kit lens as well, I would still opt for a fast lens. The choice of focal length might vary according to what I thought I might be shooting. The 17, 20 and 25 would all be candidates. However, as I do like to close in on details, I would lean towards the 25 f/1.8 in combination with the kit zoom.

-- hide signature --

I think your concept is right, but I'd take the Panny 14mm f2.5 or an Oly equivalent.  It is wide enough to capture most urban scenes, can be used for street shots. The difference in the diagonal field of view is significant enough to be a consideration. In µ4/3 lenses a 15 has a diagonal FOV of  71 degrees while a 14 is 75 degrees. For degrees actually make a meaningful difference. I would sacrifice the aperture for the FOV. When f2.5 just was not enough I'd resort to slower shutter speed and stabilization or support, or I would up the ISO and handle any troublesome noise in PP.

-- hide signature --

Richard Weisgrau
www.drawnwithlight.com
www.show-my-house.com

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow