Sutter Shock? Pictures from the holy land. Locked

Started 8 months ago | Discussions thread
This thread is locked.
Ranlee
Contributing MemberPosts: 716Gear list
Re: Sutter Shock? Pictures from the holy land.
In reply to Tony Rogers, 8 months ago

Your post is well done!

My own experience (being new to MFT) is limited to the GX7.  I wasn't happy with the slightly soft images I was getting with the 100-300 and since I expected better I then tried the eshutter and found a noticeable improvement.   I then conducted my own tests, handheld, shutter speed at about 1/500th, same image with mechanical shutter and with eshutter, and at every focal length the eshutter image resolved more fine detail than the mechanical.

I then tested the 35-100, and the 20-1.7 and finally the 12-32 and DID NOT see the same problem with any of those lens - well, perhaps just a tad at the long end of the 35-100 but not always so I discount that finding.  SS was always evident in my testing of the 100-300.

I didn't change the way I held the camera during the test (at least not consciously), and frankly I doubt I have the fine motor control required to induce the subtle detail smudging involved even if I were inclined to forcibly skew the results in favor of one over the other - and what would be the point?  I simply want the best images I can get out of the equipment in hand.

At one time I thought about posting my examples but after reading any number of antagonistic threads about SS it soon became apparent to me that it wouldn't matter.  I could as easily post crystal clear images using the 20-1.7 and proudly declare SS wasn't visible in those and so conclude that SS was a myth.  In the end I satisfied myself with my own testing and will use those results to improve my images to a point where I find them acceptable.  I only post now with the thought that someone else may benefit who shoots with the same equipment.  Beyond that, I couldn't care less who believes.

-- hide signature --

Randy

Ranlee's gear list:Ranlee's gear list
Canon PowerShot G1 X II Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM5 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 100-300mm F4-5.6 OIS Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 +5 more
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow