Sutter Shock? Pictures from the holy land. Locked

Started Apr 6, 2014 | Discussions thread
This thread is locked.
Ranlee
Contributing MemberPosts: 799Gear list
Re: Sutter Shock? Pictures from the holy land.
In reply to Tony Rogers, Apr 7, 2014

Your post is well done!

My own experience (being new to MFT) is limited to the GX7.  I wasn't happy with the slightly soft images I was getting with the 100-300 and since I expected better I then tried the eshutter and found a noticeable improvement.   I then conducted my own tests, handheld, shutter speed at about 1/500th, same image with mechanical shutter and with eshutter, and at every focal length the eshutter image resolved more fine detail than the mechanical.

I then tested the 35-100, and the 20-1.7 and finally the 12-32 and DID NOT see the same problem with any of those lens - well, perhaps just a tad at the long end of the 35-100 but not always so I discount that finding.  SS was always evident in my testing of the 100-300.

I didn't change the way I held the camera during the test (at least not consciously), and frankly I doubt I have the fine motor control required to induce the subtle detail smudging involved even if I were inclined to forcibly skew the results in favor of one over the other - and what would be the point?  I simply want the best images I can get out of the equipment in hand.

At one time I thought about posting my examples but after reading any number of antagonistic threads about SS it soon became apparent to me that it wouldn't matter.  I could as easily post crystal clear images using the 20-1.7 and proudly declare SS wasn't visible in those and so conclude that SS was a myth.  In the end I satisfied myself with my own testing and will use those results to improve my images to a point where I find them acceptable.  I only post now with the thought that someone else may benefit who shoots with the same equipment.  Beyond that, I couldn't care less who believes.

-- hide signature --

Randy

Ranlee's gear list:Ranlee's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM5 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 100-300mm F4-5.6 OIS Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 75mm 1:1.8 +5 more
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow