Sutter Shock? Pictures from the holy land. Locked

Started 8 months ago | Discussions thread
This thread is locked.
XMN
XMN
Forum MemberPosts: 58Gear list
Re: Just the facts, man, just the facts.....
In reply to Anders W, 8 months ago

Anders W wrote:

XMN wrote:

amalric wrote:

Guy Parsons wrote:

I have a video of the E-PL5 shutter at 1,000 fps and there's a huge amount of bounce as the initial shutter closure happens, also I have made audio recording of the noise the mechanism makes and there's plenty of vibration going on that carries over into the exposure period. I showed those in a recent shock thread, but no time right now to find the links again. You just have to believe.

In my case though I have not noticed any shock results but then I do not go looking for them. I now mostly use the 12-40mm on my E-PL5 and I am sure that helps dampen any shock problems due to the extra mass.

In fact the E-PL5, which I had briefly, had indeed a vibration problem which affected it between 1/100 and 1/200, but it was v. visible, and it was documented almost immediately. I don't notice it with the PM1 which should have the same shutter generation, so perhaps O. cured it.

The E-M5 never had it, in fact it has the gentlest shutter by comparison. Vibrations are always possible, and have been for half a century since the actuations became much harder than the sweet Compurs.

Of course it's the generalizing that is stupid, not mentioning the exceptions. If vibrations ruined the shot at all times, a camera maker might as well kill himself

Instead it v. easy to ruin a shot with a light mirrorless camera, despite the IBIS, for not holding it well, or having the shakes, but what deepens the stupidity, is that I have never seen anybody accepting user error. That's human nature, but stupidity nevertheless. So to me the whole debate is flawed.

Am.

See my new blog in the sign: it's fun!

To me, there are 2 main groups in this SS debate, and they are not just the simple 'SS believers' and 'SS deniers'.

1º group: 'I have SS, i am not doing anything wrong, you surely have it too, you just don't know how to search for it'

2º group: 'I don't have it, i know how to search for it, you surelly don't have too, you just don't know how to old a camera'

This is almost polarized in this two almost fanatic groups when for me, there are at least 4 groups:

1 - People that really have SS

2 - Peolple that really don't have SS

3 - People that think they have SS but just don't know how to old a camera

4 - People that think they don't have SS but just don't know how to search for it (or don't care for it)

I conced that at least this 4 groups exist. Extremists positions such as: "if i see it/don't see it, you must/must not also" don't cut it for me.

Sample variation in cameras DOES exist. Is that so hard to believe?

http://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/53439799

Does sample variation exist?

Most likely, yes.

Does this help explain why people come to different conclusions?

Most likely, yes.

Is there such a thing as an MFT camera perfectly free from shutter shock when used in conjunction with the purely mechanical shutter present on all such cameras hitherto produced except the GM1?

Most likely, no. If you answer yes to this question, you are claiming that Newton's third law of motion is invalid. I am not willing to make that claim.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Newton's_laws_of_motion

Of course there is no perfectly SS free camera, in absolute terms even the earth rotation would make it impossible. I'm speeking in practical terms, i concede that some cameras (no ideia if the majority or minority) have so little SS that in practical terms it's irrelevant, although you can barelly see it in 100% crops, it's so insignificant that don't matters.

Of course this is highly subjective, what's pin sharp to some might be unbearable soft to others. But for your reference, i'm not ok with this level of SS for instance:  http://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/53439799

And generally, most of the demonstration of SS i see here are within these parameters (believing they are well done).

If i have a (for me) pin sharp image at 1/320 with 40mm i expect also at 1/250 or 1/200.

I just retested mine and even at 12mm!! and 25mm with 1/200 gives me SS, not anymore with AS-0s

XMN's gear list:XMN's gear list
Olympus E-500 Olympus E-30 Olympus E-M1 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4.0-5.6 Olympus Zuiko Digital 14-54mm 1:2.8-3.5 +1 more
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow