This thread is locked.
Tony Rogers
Contributing MemberPosts: 567Gear list
Re: What is your point?
In reply to Jeff Tokayer, 6 months ago

Jeff Tokayer wrote:

Ontario Gone wrote:

Pixnat2 wrote:

What is the point of denying the existence of possible small blur due to shutter vibrations at certain shutterspeeds?

I'm curious to know your motivations?

I can answer that, if not for all, then for many of them. Because they haven't had any other choice. I have tested my GX7 and it is a bit sharper with E shutter on. Do i care that my shots are a smidge softer when choose to use M shutter? Hell no, because i have an alternative that will fix it and i rarely have to use M shutter. Olympus users don't have that option, and it sucks to have to admit you are stuck with a flaw. Some are more open minded and those are the ones praising the new FW addition. It's no different than the guy who claims his 6 year old camera has noise performance that's just as good as the new gear. People tend to discredit the flaws that threaten the value of their investment.

And another question : why do you think Olmypus did include the 0s antischock option in E-M1s FW 1.3?

Another easy answer. BC shutter shock is real.

-- hide signature --

"Run to the light, Carol Anne. Run as fast as you can!"

Olympus has already a very effective feature on the E-P5 and E -M1, called short shutter lag. Shutter shock may be real, but definitely suppressed when this feature is activated. I have ran a test with my E-P5 in the range of 1/80 to 1/400 in 1/3 increments, and all the images are pin sharp.

When I test my E-M1 with anti shock set to 0, the sound and vibration levels are no different from when the short shutter lag is enabled. Makes me wonder.

-- hide signature --

My nickel, since the penny is now discontinued...
Jeff.

What you need to do to test this is first find a reproducible set of circumstances that do show shutter shock with Release Lag-Time set to Normal. Then set Release Lag-Time to Short and repeat the test. If the first set of images show more blur than the second, you will have shown something. If that is actually what you did with the E-P5, great!

I did this test when I first heard that Release Lag-Time set to Short improved shutter shock but I found no improvement in the circumstances that I tested(E-M1 + 45-175 @ 175mm, 6m focus distance, shutter 1/160).

Just taking a series of shots and saying that they are sharp doesn't show anything.

Tony Rogers's gear list:Tony Rogers's gear list
Olympus E-M1
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow