Started 7 months ago | Questions thread
Digital Shutterbug
Senior MemberPosts: 1,788Gear list
Like?
Re: Exposure metering.
In reply to orelavi, 7 months ago

orelavi wrote:

I don't want to return this camera.

I love this camera but i think that a small software update can improve it.

It much easier to recompose and shoot from the same button (shutter button) instead of using 2 different button with 2 different fingers for that.

I must say I am a total loss as to why you think this is so complicated. I know very few photographers that don't move the focus control to a separate button. Many articles I read by various well known professional photographers indicate they shoot this way. Canon and Nikon have both offered this feature for years. I researched the X-T1 before buying it. Had it not had the capability, I would not have bought it. It's that important to me.

On the X-T1, your thumb almost rests on the AF-L button. You just slide your thumb up and slightly right, press the AF-L button to allow the camera to focus. You can then release the button. The camera will hold that focus adjustment for as many exposures as you care to make.

After acquiring focus, recompose and shoot. You can even recompose, meter the subject and hold a half press while recomposing one more time for the actual exposure. This is what I do for spot metered exposures.

I started using this technique many years ago when Canon started making the feature available on DSLR's. It took all of about 2 hours for it to become totally natural to me. I have never returned to the old method of focusing with the shutter button. The only difference with the Fuji is in continuous focus mode. Canon allows you to still use the separate button for focus. Fuji forces control back to the shutter button. I don't shoot in continuous focus mode a lot, but I have not found it to be a big problem to revert back to the shutter button on those occasions.

Unless you have some handicap, such as arthritis or the loss of the end of your thumb, that prevents the easy use of of your thumb for pressing the AF-L button, I think you would quickly learn to appreciate the usefulness of this technique.

-- hide signature --

Steve

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow