user_name
Senior MemberPosts: 2,803Gear list
Like?
Re: WOW what a game changer A7s
In reply to Ontario Gone, 8 months ago

Ontario Gone wrote:

neil holmes wrote:

http://new.livestream.com/accounts/7601984/events/2850315

ISO 409 000 4k video to a recorder and full HD using the whole sensor!

What a camera for theatre and live music!

I would like to see 4k take off, it makes prices on TVs drop, and that will usher in more content from the movie industry. Unfortunately i think Sony is going to drop the ball here for a couple reasons. For one, 12mp is going backwards for stills, as is evident by all the people who forked over extra for the A7r. Resolution is nice to have.

Resolution is nice to have, but not essential all the time.

I have the D800 and recently added a 10.8 mp M8.  As long as I am not trying to print large prints the M8's resolution is not a handicap.

The same goes with my D700.  Still a most viable camera, even at 12mp.

The high megapixel gold rush may not be exactly over, but I think it has lost some of its luster.  Releases like Nikon's 16mp Dƒ have already shown us that megapixels are not everything.

There is no single one camera that does everything perfectly.  The A7 and A7r have already proved that.  Each has its strengths and weaknesses.

The second thing is the price. It is obviously the newest thing from Sony, it's 4k, no way it will be cheaper than the A7/r, and that is not including the must have external recorder for 4k.

So pay more for a body with slower AF and less resolution for stills? Then pay even more to actually record 4k? All this when the GH4 is 4k capable out of the box at $1700, and the AX100 is $2k. I officially place my bet at the table, im gonna go with $3000 for body, and another $1000 for recorder. 4 grand total. I wonder how many consumers will buy that? Im with you Neil, i won't spend that kind of money but thankfully there are much cheaper options for 4k.

-- hide signature --

"Run to the light, Carol Anne. Run as fast as you can!"

user_name's gear list:user_name's gear list
Leica M8 Nikon D700 Nikon D800
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow