Started 5 months ago | Questions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Doug Haag
Regular MemberPosts: 439
Like?
Post processing question
5 months ago

I know this is a post processing question.  But I purposefully did not post it in the Retouching forum section -- because it is very specific to my D-200.

It is my understanding that when the camera generates a JPEG out of the raw data, it applies some level of sharpening -- usually controllable by menu settings.  Sharpening at this stage is called "capture sharpening".

When dealing with a Raw file, it is my understanding that capture sharpening occurs in the Raw Converter.  In the Raw Converter that I use, you can set up different default levels for such sharpening.  I am told by a Guru in this particular software that the sharpening is done by the un-sharp mask process.  There are just two variables that can be set in this particular Raw Converter -- the sharpen radius in pixels and the sharpen amount in percentage.

My Guru tells me that the most appropriate settings are individualized to camera and sensor so he can't help guide me there -- other than suggesting trial and error.  Does anyone here have a suggestion about what might be the best settings to achieve good (but not over-sharpened) capture sharpening results for a D-200 Raw file?

ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow