Re: Need an advice on prime lens for travel
In reply to Joe Sesto, 5 months ago

Joe Sesto wrote:

jeffharris wrote:

Joe Sesto wrote:

jeffharris wrote:

Joe Sesto wrote:

You might want to keep the M.Zuiko 7-14/2.8 Pro

The announcement by Olympus for the 7-14mm f2.8 mentioned "sometime in 2015". So, we're talking a year, at the least, before it's available. I'm quite happy with my current 7-14mm, so I can wait.

Thanks, all I saw was a pic of it and a 300...guess I better come up with Plan B. Surprised they announced it that far in advance.

Oly pre-announced the 40-150mm f2.8 earlier and there's still nothing more specific about a final announcement other than "2015". Same for the 300mm f4.

Plan B, indeed! The 7-14mm was the first "extra" lens i bought for my GH2 3 years ago. It's indispensable! The Oly f2.8 could be great, but I'll see if it'll be worth upgrading. Of course that depends on the price. But, I think it should be fairly easy to sell my 7-14mm f4 if the 7-14mm f2.8 stacks up and is substantially better.

Plan B might now be the 17 - 45 & 75 primes and just the 12-40 as the multipurpose. … I might consider a 5th next year if I find that I need more than 12mm. My 24/1.4L sits unloved a lot because of the 3 zooms from 16-105 and the 35. I would guess the 7-14 would be at least $1200. If so, I would really have to prove to myself that I need it. Though I expect a lot of distortion issues might be resolved in the E-M1 in camera...that would be nice.

My main lenses have boiled down to the 7-14mm, 17.5mm, 42.5mm and 75mm, which do pretty much everything I need, except for a long telephoto and a macro for critters and things.

Since the Panasonic 7-14mm f4 lists for $1100, I'd suspect the faster Oly 7-14mm f2.8 would probably be at least $1500, if not more. Let's hope they surprise us!

jeffharris's gear list:jeffharris's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH Voigtlander Nokton 25mm F0.95 Voigtlander Nokton 42.5mm F0.95 Voigtlander Nokton 17.5mm F0.95 Aspherical +25 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow