What is Back Button Focus all about?

Started 7 months ago | Discussions thread
dzba
Contributing MemberPosts: 653Gear list
Like?
Re: What is Back Button Focus all about?
In reply to enemjii, 6 months ago

enemjii wrote:

Hank3152 wrote:

enemjii wrote:

Here it is - All said and done, the button activates focusing, instead of the shutter button. If you do not press the back button, it will continue to shoot at the focus distance that was shot last, in effect, providing you with a focus distance lock.

read below....

You can use back button focusing to solve this problem because the distance between the photographer and the subject stays the same between both shots, but the composition changes. With back button focusing, the photographer activates focus for the first shot, and then is able to recompose infinite times as long as the distance between the camera and the subject remains exactly the same.
my focus would have been locked on the wolf still and I could have shot to the side of the photographer and still got sharp shots as soon as I shewed him out of the frame.

I see we went full circle as this info was provided in the 2nd post by Scorpio a week ago..........

I am easily amused, at times, Mike

The above sentence was what I was referring to.  The thread was informative, and valuable.  To come full circle in less than a week was amusing to me.

Mike

-- hide signature --

"Five out of four people have trouble with fractions."
Regards,
Hank

Hey, I am glad we amused you rather than abuse you!

I am glad you stayed with us while we fumbled through this and understood the BBF concept.

All said and done, I personally believe thus is the wrong term to use. If I put that same button on the front of the camera doing exactly the same thing, I would have to call it FBF?

Enjoy!
--
http://blog.zeusboutique.com/

dzba's gear list:dzba's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ30 Canon EOS 650D Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 II Canon EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 IS USM +1 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow